If you have kids, you know how much they look forward to Halloween each year. What can be more fun than dressing up in a costume and walking through the neighborhood getting candy? If you will be doing any driving on Halloween night, we have a few trick-or-treating safety tips to keep in mind.
- When driving through neighborhoods, drive slowly and cautiously. Children are excited and can act unpredictably.
- Take extra time at intersections looking for kids trying to cross the street.
- Put away anything that might distract you. You should even consider turning off your radio and rolling down your windows so you can hear any children who are near you.
- When exiting or entering your driveway, drive slowly to look out for any kids that may be trying to walk.
- Turn your headlights on, even if the sun is still up, to make you more visible and help you see children from further away.
- Trick-or-treating hours generally fall between 5:30-9:30 p.m., so be extra vigilant during those hours.
- If any kids do walk out into the road in front of you, stop and give them the right of way. Do not honk at them.
If you are out walking with your trick-or-treaters, be sure that they are wearing something bright and reflective and that their costume does not hinder their ability to see clearly. From all of us here at Gossett VW Porsche, happy Halloween and stay safe out there!